Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Red Car Property: Eucalyptus Does Support Wildlife

Photo: Diane Edwardson, June 16, 2016.  As much as I hate non-native, highly combustible, ever more dead and dying eucalyptus trees in our dry landscape, they do provide food in the form of bugs for wildlife, like this Oriole.  I suspect it's a male Scott's Oriole. in a dying eucalyptus on the Red Car Property near Adelbert. (Click on photo to enlarge.)

Through the years, Red Car Property neighbors have asked me about birds with strikingly contrasting yellow and black feathers. (I'm no bird expert but I do shoot photos of raptors and unusual or scenic bird sightings.) There are several different types of birds with yellow feathers around the Red Car Property; most do not appear to live here year round.  This is the first time I've seen this particularly stylish bird.  The shape of its beak also caught my eye.   

If you live adjacent to the Red Car Property and have backyard wildlife photos or video to share, send them to redcarproperty@gmail.com along with the date, where the photos were taken (your address will not be published) along with a brief description of what the wildlife was doing at the time.  It's also helpful to provide a wide/establishing shot, to help understand what drew the wildlife to your yard in the first place. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FEED OR TOUCH WILDLIFE.