Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Turkey Vulture Over Corralitas Drive

Photo: Diane Edwardson, September 23, 2009, 10:07 AM. Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) soaring over Corralitas Drive. (Click on photo to enlarge.)

While passing a window this morning, I saw an enormous bird flying level with the second story of my home. I grabbed my point & shoot camera and rushed to the street to discover Turkey Vulture circling very low over the Red Car Property and the top of Corralitas Drive. I've never seen a Turkey Vulture fly so low in the neighborhood. When it passed flew directly overhead, I could see its distinctive featherless red head. There was an odor of dead animal out in the street; perhaps it was tracking down a meal.
Photo: Diane Edwardson, Turkey Vulture over Corralitas Red Car Property, the large home is on Silver Ridge Ave. (Click on photo to enlarge.)Late September seems to bring flocks of Turkey Vultures migrating southeast. In the afternoons you see them slowly circling as they come from the direction of Silver Lake Reservoir, over Silver Ridge Ave., Red Car Property, Corralitas Drive, Semi Tropic Spiritualists' Tract, down the 5 Freeway, then east toward Debs Park. I once counted more than 60 birds in one flock of circling turkey vultures.