Friday, April 12, 2013

Corralitas Drive: Another Yellow Bird*

Photo: Diane Edwardson, April 9, 2013.  As if to mock me, just a few days after capturing a few shots of a Lesser Goldfinch (a yellow bird I'd never seen before), several noisy, bright yellow birds appeared overhead, foraging in the rubber trees, then the palm trees in our backyard.  (Click on photos to enlarge.)
Photo: Diane Edwardson, April 9, 2013.  At the time, I happened to be shooting photos of the water truck on Taylor Yard, so I had a camera in hand, but did not get very good photos to bother my birding friends for an ID. 

So if you have a wildlife encounter on the Red Car Property or in your backyard in the Red Car Property Neighborhood, send us your photos with a description of what the creature was doing, what you did, where exactly the photo was taken, date & approximate time.  An establishing or wide shot of the location is helpful if it's on the Red Car Property.  Send to: redcarproperty@gmail.com.  

*3 PM UPDATE: This morning, fellow Silver Lake blogger, Will Campbell, [sic], sent an email, "I dove into my trusty Laws Field Guide and the closest match I found to your mystery yellow bird is a first-year female Bullock's oriole. When mature the yellow has burnished to a darker orange."

Looking at the Bullock's Oriole on Cornell Lab of Ornithology, I think Campbell's right. Thanks Will.