Sunday, August 4, 2013

Red Car Property: Young Red Tails Following Brush Clearance

Photo: Diane Edwardson, July 30, 2013.  After more than a week of no Red Tailed Hawk sightings, one of the youngsters called as I walked near the dead trees at Adelbert.  (Click on photos to enlarge.)
Photo: Diane Edwardson, July 30, 2013.  Then a second Red Tail called from one of the dead Eucalyptus on the opposite side of the trail.  I'm not sure if they were calling to each other or to me.  I recognized them immediately.

A few weeks ago, a neighbor noticed one young hawk followed him while he was walking his dog.  The hawk was calling the whole time, for the entire length of the Red Car Property. I think they recognize the people who watch them regularly.  They probably watch us too, especially if we're out there with our dogs.  I wonder what they think of us.  Is it entertaining to them? 
Photo: Diane Edwardson, July 30, 2013.  It should not have been a surprise the hawks were attempting to hunt where contractors had just cleared brush, one day earlier.