Friday, September 11, 2015

Corralitas Drive: Red Tail Hawk With Prey

Photo: Diane Edwardson, September 9, 2015.  If you look closely, the Red Tail is clutching a good sized mammal.  The rodent's hind legs and butt are just barely visible to the right and beneath the hawk.  (Click on photos to enlarge.)
 
Photo: Diane Edwardson, September 9, 2015.  When I shot these photos, I thought something was odd about the way the hawk was perched atop the big pine tree near the top of Corralitas,  So I zoomed all the way in.  Unfortunately, the first photo (above) was the best I could do.  Plus, this appears to be a very mature hawk, that's why I thing it's a squirrel. The younger hawks don't seem to catch squirrels easily.  Additionally, I know this hawk has been hanging around the top of Corrallitas near the construction site, scoping it out for rats.