Monday, June 15, 2015

Red Car Property & Silver Lake Ave Public Staircase: Red Tailed Hawk

Photo: Diane Edwardson, June 11, 2015.  A Red Tailed Hawk took refuge from the momentarily heavy rain last Thursday, in a very large, dense Eucalyptus in a Lake View Ave backyard, directly adjacent to the Silver lake Ave Public Staircase and the Red Car Property.  (Click on photos to enlarge.)

What is impressive about this photo is that I found the hawk at all in the tree.
Photo: Diane Edwardson, June 11, 2015.  The red arrows are pointing to the hawk in the tree.  I did not move from the same spot, just south the public staircase on the Red Car Property, to shoot the first photo.  It's just zoomed in using my little point & shoot Nikon. 

Honestly, while I was shooting I had no idea what kind of predatory bird it was.  It could have been Great Horned Owl, Red Tailed Hawk or Red Shouldered Hawk.  It looked too large to be a Cooper's Hawk, but they are known to hunt the corridor between Roselin and Riverside Place.  Shoot (photos) first.  Ask questions later.  

I only found the bird because the Mockingbirds were harassing it so badly while dive-bombing it.  Just follow the Mockingbirds.