Monday, January 21, 2013

LA River: Boating Coming This Summer To Elysian Valley & Atwater? Community Meeting Thursday, January 24, 2013

Photo: Diane Edwardson, November 27, 2010.  Elysian Valley is one of the most scenic stretches of the LA River and it's walking distance from the Red Car Property.  (Click on photos to enlarge.)
 
The summer boating program is coming to the Glendale Narrows section of the LA River -this summer - only this time it's free if you bring your own boat.   However, the big issue in both Atwater and Elysian Valley will be parking. 
 
In my head, I keep hearing the voice of my old friend Rey Dominguez (rest in peace), "Where are you going park all those cars?  On narrow neighborhood streets where families live and children play?  People aren't going to walk to the river with their kayaks!"
 
GO TO THE COMMUNITY MEETING:
 
Thursday, January 24, 2013
5 - 6:30 PM
 
Photo: Diane Edwardson, October 28, 2010.  LA River at Atwater Creek.
 
They also want to ban dogs from the riverbed. Again, I have not had a chance to review the report - so go to the meeting. The only place I can escape the bikes whizzing by at high speed on the narrow & crowded path, is to walk in the riverbed with my dog on a leash. But then, I also pick up after my dog. 
 
Read the full story: Silver Lake Echo Park Patch
 
You can also read the "Draft River Access Report" pdf on the Patch.  I could not pull it up on the City's LA River Committee website.