Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Red Car Property: It Should Be A Park

Photo: Diane Edwardson, December 4, 2011. (Click on photos to enlarge.)

Red Car Property neighbors are emailing City Councilmember Eric Garcetti, asking him to oppose development on the Red Car Property and support acquisition of it as a park.  We received an email that describes how a lot of people feel about the Red Car Property, rather than edit, we're running the email below in its entirety. 

Photo: Diane Edwardson, July 28, 2009.  Even the less park-like areas of the Red Car Property are a place to share adventure with your kids.

From a Riverside Terrace neighbor:

Dear Councilmember Garcetti,

Please consider this email as a request to influence your position to preserve the precious Red Car Property in the Silver Lake community. 

I own a home less than a block from the Red Car Property; my family and I have the daily pleasure of experiencing the treasures that this property has to offer.  I'm originally from a small town in Pennsylvania and I grew up playing in streams, climbing trees, playing tag in the woods; experiences that I will never forget.  And when were looking for a place to live here in Los Angeles, I so badly wanted a similar experience for my children, and the Red Car Property was a significant factor in my decision to reside here.

The Red Car Property is a small but precious escape from the city grind.  It's absolutely magical that after a long day of work I take my 3 year old son, Davy, for our routine walk through the dirt trail canyon covered by beautiful mature trees.  We climb rocks, sing songs, spot animals, play with our neighbors dogs, chit chat with others, and have sincere father-son bonding time.  My son begs for me to take him for a walk for the serendipity of the area.   My four month old is a different story, he and I use it for the same reasons...solitude and escape.  If he is tired of being in the house, I strap him into our carrier and we stroll through the canyon below the trees.  He is immediately calmed and I have some time to meditate.

These are my experiences with the Red Car Property, which I know are different than others.  Some folks walk their dogs, others jog, while others use it as a peaceful foot trail to pick up some groceries.  I can not express to you how we deeply cherish this land.  I have always been amazed that it is not protected and it should be.  On weekends when I am out in my yard doing work, people from all over the city come to go for a walk because they have heard of the Red Car Property.  

The Red Car Property is a small gem within Los Angeles, it's a unique and natural green space that would be impossible and costly to replicate.  While the city is trying so hard to create NEW green spaces with tax payers money, we have a natural green space that needs little to none public funds to operate, its just there.  Please help us make wise decisions about our pre-existing green space, help us be good stewards of our public funds, help us preserve the little things about our community that make our lives with our neighbors, our children, and ourselves meaningful; I urge you to support the acquisition of the entire Red Car Property as a permanent, public parkland.
Photo: Diane Edwardson, June 23, 2010.  Red Car Canyon is magical.
Photo: Diane Edwardson, October 13, 2009.  The Red Car Property is a mile-long trail that most people walk to get to.