Sunday, August 12, 2012

Corralitas Drive: Buzzed By Bats

No photo because who expects to encounter bats in their own backyard in Los Angeles?  

As I was bringing the dog inside around 11:20 PM, when I heard an erratic flapping and felt something grabbing my hair at my hair.   Swatting at it only moved the erratic flapping further away.  Unable to see it, I figured it was a giant Mothra, as I was walking beneath a bright porch light. 

As my dog & I rounded the corner of the house, we heard even more erratic flapping and caught sight of a large brown bat in pursuit of some insect.  Stunned, we watched it flapping around, hit the deck above and flapped over toward the nearby Eucalyptus tree.

I've only ever had 2 other bat encounters on Corralitas.  This one was exceptional and seemingly involved multiple bats.  We heard a lot of random flapping in the yard tonight, I'm guessing it was more than one bat.  Very cool indeed.