Saturday, June 30, 2012

Corralitas Drive: Baby Skunk Season

Photo: Diane Edwardson, June 27, 2012, 10:22 PM.  The baby skunk was about 6" long with a tail about twice that size.  (Click on photos to enlarge.) 

After watching Stampy head for the opposite end of the yard, and aware that it's baby skunk season, I figured I should check the yard before taking the dog out. I heard chattering and stamping around in the leaves in the upper part of the yard.   Sure enough, 2 baby skunks were playing and foraging for Rubber Tree beans.   
Photo: Diane Edwardson, June 27, 2012, 10:45 PM.  The 2 baby skunks had no fear, running towards me, despite the camera flash.  Only when I stood up did they turn and prance off in the opposite direction. 

At this size, they can only make skunk farts, not a full spray.  These 2 are far more bold than last year's skunks.  I guess Stampy heading for the other end of the yard was meant as a decoy to distract me from the babies. 

If you feed your pets outside, pick up their food bowls immediately after they eat.  Do not feed or attempt to touch wildlife.  Learn more about living with skunks and other urban wildlife on the City's Animal Services' website.