Thursday, June 2, 2011

Corralitas Drive: Baby Skunks Active In Daylight

Photo: Diane Edwardson, May 23, 2011, 6:23 PM.  Last week, my neighbor called me over to see two 5" long skunk babies next to her garage crawlspace.  (Click on photo to enlarge.) 

When the mother skunk saw my neighbor come out the back door, the skunk immediately picked up one of the babies by the back of the neck and raced to the other side of my neighbor's garage.  They disappeared into the crawlspace on the opposite side of the garage, where the panel had been pushed open, just enough for small animals to fit through. 

Photo: Diane Edwardson, May 23, 2011, 6:23 PM.  The two babies left behind, stayed put and called to their mother from the chicken-wire covered panel to the garage crawlspace.  Clearly their mother was under the garage.  (Click on photo to enlarge.) 

The mother must have returned later to retrieve the babies once the coast was clear.  Even my neighbor's cat wanted nothing to do with the skunks.
Photo: Diane Edwardson, June 1, 2011, 6:10 PM.  I heard something foraging in the leaf litter in my yard, I discovered an 8" long baby skunk with a tail almost twice his size.  (Click on photo to enlarge.)

Another Skunk Tale:
Monday, around 5 PM, my dog was growling at something from inside the house.  I arrived at the window just in time to see a 6" long baby skunk, 6" tail held high, casually pronking along the patio, en route to the sideyard fence.  Of course, my camera was upstairs at the time. 

I'm well aware of the nearby cat-sized hole in the fence (we're hoping the fox will use it).  The mother skunk and babies mush have gone through ahead of the last baby, who didn't bother climbing up to the hole in the fence.  The baby fit easily through one of the chain links. The baby bounced around joyfully on the iceplant and disappeared into my neighbor's thick vegetation.  

Read more about living with skunks and other urban wildlife on the City's Animal Services website.