Thursday, June 30, 2011

Corralitas Drive: Red Tailed Hawks Hunting On The 2 Freeway

Photo: Diane Edwardson, June 30, 2011, 10 AM.  This morning I heard one of the Red Tailed Hawk babies calling to be fed from one of the big eucalyptus Trees in the middle of the 2 & 5 Freeway interchange.  Elysian Valley and Taylor Yard are in the background.  (Click on photo to enlarge.) 

A while later, I watched what looked like the big female, Corra Rose, swoop down from the northbound side of the 2 Freeway to the median below this tree.  I did not see either bird for a while, but the baby continued to call from area trees. 

Photo: Diane Edwardson, June 30, 11:56 AM.  Red Tailed Hawk baby has lunch below the log cabins on Corralitas Drive.  (Click on photo to enlarge.)

I heard lots of hawk calling from their favorite telephone pole below the log cabin.  I arrived outside in time to see one of the parents deposit a rat atop the pole for this baby.  Again, I couldn't get a shot of the prey hand-off (because I was calling my neighbor, Gary, so he could get some photos too).  The baby made quick work of  the rat.  The other baby continued to call fro a nearby tree.