Sunday, September 11, 2011

Red Car Property: Red Tailed Hawk Near Fletcher

Photo: Diane Edwardson, September 8, 2011.  I climbed up the slope above the historic viaduct footings when I saw a hawk sitting on a low branch of a eucalyptus tree.  (Click on photo to enlarge.)

I was hoping for a glimpse of an elusive Cooper's Hawk.  I couldn't see the hawk in the shadows too clearly as the sun was already eyeball searingly bright at 8:30 AM.   I was able to shoot quite a few frames before it flew to another big eucalyptus tree, above the condos on Fletcher.  When the sun hit its tail, there was no mistaking, it was a Red Tailed Hawk

The feathers look similar to the young Red Tail who frequented my neighbor's house.  I don't think this is "Spot."  It was nowhere near as large as "Spot."  

The Red Tails have been flying further and are not around as much as they were earlier this summer.  Although, last night around dusk, the two youngsters were screeching and chasing down one of the parents with prey, right over my backyard.  One proceeded to have dinner on the favored telephone pole on Corralitas.