Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Red Car Property: Joyriders Kicking Up Dust

Photos: Diane Edwardson, December 7, 2015, 3:31 PM.  I heard the sound of a car speeding down the Red Car Property behind me.  Unfortunately, I did not get good photos but they do illustrate the dust that was kicked up.  This is another reason why the property needs to be gated to vehicle traffic.  (Click on photos to enlarge.)

Considering I'd just passed an elderly woman walking with her nurse and a man walking his dog, I immediately, pulled my camera from my pocket and just shot photos - not waiting to see if they were in focus.  The light was bad and the dust would throw the focus off once it got close.

The bright blue Mustang type car was shiny and in new condition, with what appeared to be 3 people inside, as it fishtailed past the elderly woman and her nurse.  I stood in the middle of the path to the wooded canyon area shooting photos.  They slowed down and turned around behind Rose Scharlin Nursery School, but choking dust was everywhere.
The blue car sped back toward India Street.  I go no better photos with my phone.
Switching back to my camera, I could at least see the dust the speeding car kicked up.
I could also see the elderly woman holding her sweater over her mouth and nose to keep the dust out.  That's not haze.  That's the 20' cloud of fine dust the car kicked up.  It was a crystal clear, but dark afternoon on the Red Car Property.  The sun had already moved beyond the top of Silver Ridge.

This is not the first time this year we've see people joyriding on the Red Car Property, putting people and animals at risk, in addition to creating a health risk with the dust.  It is yet another reason why the property should have heavy steel parking gates similar to the gates on every fire road in Griffith and Elysian Park to prevent all but emergency vehicles on the property