Sunday, October 11, 2015

Red Car Property: Male Crab Spider?

Photo: Diane Edwardson, September 27, 2015. 
Male Crab Spiders have really long black front legs and short  rear legs of another color, and look absolutely nothing like females.   
Photo: Diane Edwardson, September 27, 2015.  This one appeared to be missing a front leg.  Yet he was busily spinning a web.  I found him completely by accident.
Photo: Diane Edwardson, September 27, 2015.  This was the photo I shot only because the little yellow flower was new to me.  During editing, I saw a strange bug near the bottom of the frame.  At first, I thought the spider was dead since it appeared to just be hanging upside down.  However, comparing multiple frames, the spider was definitely moving all  around the leaves at that level of the plant.  Unfortunately, I only got two clear shots of the spider.  I still have no idea what the flower is.  But the spider was much more interesting.  I'll have to go back and look for the female.