Monday, March 9, 2015

Red Car Meadow: Butterfly Sex

Photo: Diane Edwardson, March 8, 2015.  A couple of Cabbage White Butterflies (Pieris rapae) were caught in the act on the Red Car Property.  They look green because they are reflecting the uber green surroundings. (Click on photos to enlarge.)  

These medium sized white butterflies are in constant motion.  I usually can't get a good shot.  There were at least a dozen white butterflies, a couple of bright yellow butterflies & at least one Monarch Butterfly in the Red Car meadow, so I thought I figured I'd have a chance at one shot.
Photo: Diane Edwardson, March 8, 2015.  At first, when this pair came flying haphazardly toward me, I thought it was a really big butterfly.  They were flying while still attached to each other, landed & stayed in one place for a few minutes.  So I was able to move around & get lots of photos.  Of course, without my glasses & the restrictions of all that green, backlighting, with a point & shoot camera made it a little challenging. 

Click here for all the butterflies we've documented in the Red Car Property neighborhood.