Monday, August 11, 2014

Red Car Property: If You Want To Find Hawks Follow The Mockingbirds

Photo: Diane Edwardson, August 8, 2014.  While walking near Adelbert on the north end of the Red Car Property, I heard the tell-tail sound of a Mockingbird harassing a hawk.  (That's a Mockingbird flying just behind the Red-Shouldered Hawk in the above photo.)  (Click on photos to enlarge.)

Mockingbirds have a distinctive, pissed-off call they use when they are chasing off predators like hawks & cats.  They will harass a hawk for hours.  Since the action was in the California Black Walnut Trees above me, I knew it was a hawk.  It took me several minutes to find the hawk, as it was so well camouflaged among the trees.   (More on this tomorrow.)
Photo: Diane Edwardson, August 8, 2014.  I had never been so close (35 to 40') from a Red-Shouldered Hawk.  It was just a beautiful creature doing its best to ignore the Mockingbird.  

It may or may not have been the same Red-Shouldered Hawk I saw a week ago in the same area.
Photo: Diane Edwardson, August 8, 2014.  Just as I zoomed out to get an establishing shot, the Hawk took off first in one direction, then the other on Adelbert, eventually landing in some trees across the semi-rural street (more tomorrow).  The arrow points to the branch where the hawk was  sitting.