Monday, August 12, 2013

Corralitas Drive: Sometimes They Just Don't Wake Up

Photo: Diane Edwardson, August 10, 2013, 5:40 PM.  I came up from the backyard to find the dog barking at something under the outdoor bed.  (Click on photos to enlarge.)

I got close, dropping to the ground to see which cat was teasing the dog.  That's no cat, it was a little skunk, way under the bed.  Luckily I happened to have a leash in hand, since we were heading out for a walk.  I leashed the dog and tried to get a better look.  I couldn't tell if the skunk was dead or sick.  There was no skunk smell. 
Photo: Diane Edwardson, August 10, 2013.  I got my neighbor who grabbed a broom & gently nudged the skunk; no reaction. So she carefully swept the skunk out from under the bed.  We watched for a few minutes to ensure it was not breathing.  There was no odor, blood, bloating, nor obvious puncture wounds.  Rigormortis had not set in.  It must have gone under the bed to lie down that afternoon or the dogs would have found it in the morning.  It looked like it was sleeping.  So sad. 

I don't think it was the baby skunk we've seen in the yard most nights before dark.  This appeared to be the small adult I'd seen late the night before, foraging near the heirloom tomatoes, tormenting the dog (who watched from inside the house).

It was so unusual to see a skunk that had not met an violent death by car or by dog, as so often happens on the Red Car Property. Rest in peace little skunk. 

Click here for all our skunk related posts.