Friday, July 19, 2013

Corralitas Drive: Watch Your Step! It's Baby Skunk Season!

Photo: Diane Edwardson, June 17, 2013, 7:59 PM.  It wasn't even dark yet.  I almost stepped in the 5" long baby skunk, as I walked down the stairs, laundry basket in hand, blocking my view.  He backed up in front of me (business end pointed away), tail up, sneezing at me to get my attention. 

This was the first encounter of the season (about a month late).  It was a really small skunk for mid-July.  The babies can't spray yet.  They just sort of fart skunk, which this one did in its first attempt at pointing the business end at me.  

So with laundry basket in one hand, cell phone in the other, I'm following the baby skunk around the yard to get a good photo.  This was the first and the best shot.  Hopefully, it will gain a fear of humans, not just ones with laundry baskets & cell phones.

Click here for all our skunk posts.