Monday, March 18, 2013

Red Car Property: Test Your Birding Knowledge

Photo: Diane Edwardson, March 9, 2013.  A week ago Saturday, an unusual bid caught my eye on the Red Car Property.  I had never seen a bird with its large  size & shape in the Red Car Property neighborhood in 23 years. (Click on photos to enlarge.)
Photo: Diane Edwardson, March 9, 2013.  At about 10 inches tall, the bird stood out perched high in the branches of a California Black Walnut Tree on the slope above the historic landmark Red Car Viaduct footings.  Now, I'm not a bird fan, I prefer raptors.  That's how out of the ordinary this bird was that it got my attention.
Photo: Diane Edwardson, March 9, 2013.  In addition to the spotted feathers on its chest & abdomen, large black bib on its chest, it had yellowish feathers under its tail & wings.  It even showed the back of its head to ensure I got photos from all angles.
 
If you have local knowledge of, or links to more info on this bird, please send it to: redcarproperty@gmail.com.