Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Red Car Property: Scrawny Juvenile Red Tail Hawk Following Me


Photo: Diane Edwardson, February 28, 2013.  Shortly after we rescued the young Red Tailed Hawk from our backyard last month, I noticed I was often followed by a scrawny, young Red Tailed Hawk whenever I walked the neighborhood.  (Click on photos to enlarge.)

In the mornings, the same hawk often slowly circles my backyard while the dogs play.  How do I know it's the same hawk?  It was missing some feathers in its left wing since the day we rescued it.  they've taken a while to grow back.  In the photo below, it looks as if there's a hole in the left wing, and it's really skinny.  On the day I shot these photos, the hawk had been really obvious about following my dog & me on a walk on the Red Car Property, circling and swooping down low past my head when least expected. 
While I was shooting photos of a Monarch Butterfly above the historic viaduct footings, I kept hearing the hawk calling quite insistently from about 100 feet behind me.  I also heard the sound of crows on the attack.
 
Photo: Diane Edwardson, February, 28, 2013.   All manner of birds are known to harass young Red Tailed Hawks.  At least 2 crows made it very clear this hawk was not welcome in crow territory.  They dive bombed the hawk, poking it with their beaks, yelling at it non-stop in their crow language. 
 
More tomorrow.