Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Corralitas Public Staircase: How Many Coyotes Do You See In This Photo?

Photo: T. Glynn, December 9, 2012, 9:55 PM.  Two.  One is at the first landing. 
 
My neighbor writes, "I had to stop while a young coyote crossed in front of my car at Rosebud and made his way up the steps.  As I grabbed my phone to try to get a shot for everyone, his brother walked into the shot! They are a team.  Cute, but not a good sign. Watch your small animals and make big noises if you pass them. They were not at all concerned with me noticing them."  
 
Last week, a coyote trotted rather casually past another neighbor walking her dog (on-leash) from the Corralitas Public Staircase toward the top of the hill at 8 in the morning. 
 
Coyotes have no fear of humans. Keep your trashcans closed.  If you feed your pets outside, pick up the food bowls immediately after they finish eating.  Keep your dogs on a leash.  Do not leave your small dogs unattended in your yard, day or night.  A fence is not a deterrent to coyotes.  Coyotes in this neighborhood are known for hunting in packs, using the cars as cover.