Friday, August 17, 2012

Red Car Property: "Absolutely Essential To My Quality Of Life"

Photo: Diane Edwardson, December 22, 2009.  Treasured open space.  (Click on photo to enlarge.)

Neighbors have been writing City Councilmember Eric Garcetti asking him to oppose development on and support acquisition of the Red Car Property as a park...

Dear Councilman Garcetti,

I live on the top of Corralitas Drive, overlooking the 2 Freeway and what once was the enchanting Semi-Tropic Spiritualist Tract.

I also have a pocket view of the Red Car Property.  I treasure it.

It is the last survivor in an area that has seen every other little piece of “green” bulldozed, graded and built upon.  Or, perhaps worse, simply bulldozed and then abandoned.

The Red Car Property is cherished by the neighborhood and the many visitors who come from all over the city to enjoy this little sanctuary of nature and history.  Personally, as a Corralitas Drive resident, it is absolutely essential to my quality of life here. Seeing that little meadow and walking my dog daily on its trail makes it possible for me to tolerate the ever -present din and dismal view of the 2 and 5 freeways and the massive grading and construction project now across the way on Allesandro.  Without the Red Car Property I simply cannot imagine living in this area.

Along with so many others in this community and this city, I urge you to support acquisition of the entire Red Car Property as permanent, public parkland.

Sincerely,
[Corralitas Neighbor]