Thursday, July 5, 2012

Corralitas Drive: I Hate The 4th Of July

Photo: Diane Edwardson, July 4th, 2012.  Illegal fireworks filled the sky over Elysian Valley & Glassell Park last night.  (Click on photo to enlarge.)

When you live in the hills, once the sun goes down, the 4th of July is not a relaxing holiday.  For weeks, we've all been hearing the nightly explosions, increasing in frequency as the 4th approaches.  Even after 21 years here, you never get used to the war zone sounds of the 4th.  The really scary ones ones are  set off by the yahoos who think it's OK to set these types of airborne fireworks off in the hills.  My windows rattled and my backyard lit up when a neighbor's party-goers set some off directly over the big trees in my yard.  You could here the debris falling from the fireworks into the tree.  Holy crap, that's scary. 

One neighbor, originally from New York, asked me why Los Angeles hasn't made fireworks illegal.  I told her they are illegal.  Good times.