Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Semi Tropic Spiritualists' Tract: Red Tail Hawk Babies Not So Willing To Leave The Nest

Photo: Diane Edwardson, June 11, 2012, 11:00 AM.  Monday, Red Tail Baby #3 was in and out of the nest all day.  (Click on photo to enlarge.) 

I didn't realize we were looking at 2 babies until I enlarged the photos.  We thought we were down to the last chick on Monday.  The adult female kept returning to the nest as if she was not confident in their readiness to leave the nest.  Whenever she was in the nest, the babies were calmer and settled down into the nest.  
Photo: Diane Edwardson, June 11, 2012, 11:01 AM.  This photo you can see #4 in the nest a bit more clearly. 

Tuesday, June 12, # 4 was alone in the nest.  While the grading crew on the Semi Tropic Spiritualists' Tract was on lunch break, the machinery was quiet and #4 was calling constantly.  From at least 2 other trees - on the Corralitas side of the 2 Freeway, I could hear 2 other hawks calling back. 

Since we've not seen any of the hawks much since the babies started flying, I walked down the street to see if I could find them with binoculars.  Within minutes, the adult female returned to the nest and stared at me.  I was standing at the top of the Corralitas public staircase.  I don't know where she had been.  A few minutes later the bulldozers started work again and drowned out the hawks' calls.