Thursday, March 1, 2012

Historic Viaduct Footings: Kestrel Sighting

Photo: Diane Edwardson, February 28, 2012, 9:33 AM.  This is the only shot I got of the Kestrel sitting atop one of the young California Black Walnut Trees at the top of the historic Red Car viaduct footings on the Red Car Property.  (Click on photo to enlarge.)

As my (on-leash) dog & I approached the viaduct footings, I caught sight of a Kestrel sitting atop one of the trees, about 100' away.  (That's why the photo is such poor quality.)  My dog lunged and this Kestrel took off before I could get a second shot.  (No birds were even threatened by my dog. We were 75' away.) 

While snapping this photo, I heard a second Kestrel calling from the trees further upslope from the viaduct footings.  Learn more about Kestrels and listen to their distinctive calls: