Saturday, February 18, 2012

Corralitas Public Staircase: Blue Dicks

Photo: Diane Edwardson, February 17, 2012.  Just the other day, a biologist asked if I'd seen any Blue Dicks, also known as native Wild Hyacinth, this year.  (Click on photo to enlarge.)

At the time, I had not.  Today, while waiting for my dog to eat some grass on the Corralitas Public Staircase, I happened to notice a half dozen stems topped with the small purple flowers, scattered among the non-native grasses and native Morning Glories (white flowers above). 

Blue Dicks seem to do better in years with lots of rain and if the brush clearance is done after they've gone to seed.

The only place I've seen the Blue Dicks in the Red Car Property neighborhood is on either side of the lower 2 flights of the Corralitas Public Staircase at Corralitas Drive & Rosebud Ave.