Friday, December 3, 2010

LA River Bike Path: Reminder
Bikes Yield To Pedestrians


Photo: Diane Edwardson, November 27, 2010. Cyclists, please down when approaching pedestrians on the LA River bike path. (Click on photo to enlarge.)

Recently, I've walked the LA River bike path a few times and can say that many cyclists show little respect for pedestrians. Since bikes are (generally) quiet; the path, smooth; the freeways, loud, so pedestrians can't always hear you approaching from behind. (The cyclist in the above photo maintained a leisurely pace when passing us.)

Every time I've walked the river with my dog (on a short leash), I've been surprised by bikes coming from behind at very high speeds. I find myself nervously looking over my shoulder so my dog and I don't get run over. A few cyclists call out when approaching from behind, most do not.

Please remember, not everyone can move quickly out of the way. There are elderly and children walking the path too. It's not always feasible for pedestrians to walk down in the river bed or on the slope. There is no easy way for pedestrians in Elysian Valley to get to and from the other side of the river where bikes are few.

Cyclists complain about cars whizzing past them too closely at high speeds on City streets. Show pedestrians the same respect you want from car drivers.