Thursday, December 30, 2010

Corralitas Drive: Kestrel Sighting


Photo: Diane Edwardson, December 26, 2010, 4:15 PM. Several neighbors and I watched a Kestrel as it kept returning to an Italian Cypress at the top of Corralitas Drive. (Click on photo to enlarge.)


We used to routinely see Kestrels on Corralitas Drive. I have not seen any since 2005. However, this week, I've been seeing Kestrel atop telephone poles and wires as well as the top of my neighbor's Italian Cypress Trees.

Earlier this year a biologist who conducted surveys in the area and Griffith Park, told me Kestrels are becoming rare in the area.

Kestrels are are small falcons; smaller than pigeons. They eat bugs and mice. See better photos of Kestrels in an earlier post.

Birds of prey have been very active in the days after the rain. Send us your Red Car Property Neighborhood wildlife photos: redcarproperty@gmail.com.