Saturday, July 11, 2015

Red Car Property: Cooper's Hawk

Photo: Diane Edwardson, July 10, 2015.  I followed the sounds of pissed off mockingbirds to a Cooper's Hawk in the big Eucalyptus between India and Silver Lake Ave Public Staircase.  (Click on photos to enlarge.)
Photo: Diane Edwardson, July 10, 2015.  The image quality is not great.  I so rarely catch photos of Cooper's Hawks, that I have to publish them when I can.  

I suspect it's a juvenile Cooper's Hawk since it doesn't have well developed chest muscles.  And adults usually don't take crap from 6 mockingbirds at the same time.
Photo: Diane Edwardson, July 10, 2015.  The lighting and tree conditions were so tough to work with but this was such a great shot of its talons that I had to use it. 

Look for Cooper's Hawks hunting for birds in the corridor between Riverside Place and Silver Ridge and the Silver Lake Ave and Roselin Public Staircases. They prefer heavily wooded areas like Red Car Canyon and the steep slope between Silver Ridge and Lake View. 

Learn more about Cooper's Hawks: Cornell Lab of Ornithology