Saturday, October 18, 2014

Red Car Property: Yellow Butterfly Near Adelbert

Photo: Diane Edwardson, October 16, 2014.  These large bright yellow butterflies have been all over the Red Car Property this year.  (Click on photo to enlarge.)

They've been another one of my white whales.  They flutter by so quickly & erratically I can never get a shot of them.  This one stopped for at least a minute or two on a Castor Bean plant near the Adelbert cut-through, then landed on a nearby California Black Walnut who's leaves were starting to turn yellow, so I lost sight of it. 

It may be a Cloudless Sulfur, but it's hard to tell.  I refer to Butterflies of Orange County because it's easier to use than Butterflies & Moths of North America (BAMONA), so my research is not comprehensive.

2014 has been a banner year for butterflies in the neighborhood.  Click here for all our butterfly posts.