Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Corralitas Drive: More Joys Of Hillside Living - Deliveries


Photo: Diane Edwardson, November 5, 2010. This is a wider part of Corralitas Drive. (Click on photo to enlarge.)

If you live on a narrow, winding, hillside street, truck deliveries are challenging. There are lessons to be learned in this story. Admittedly, I am partially to blame for the following stupidity.

Last week, I foolishly agreed to a weekend delivery of a new bed because I had already waited too long for a new bed. I didn't absolutely insist on a small truck delivery. I warned the salesman they would likely need a small truck, but I'd seen that company's big trucks on the street several times in the past month, so I thought they must have good drivers.

Sunday afternoon, I got a call from the store's dispatch saying the truck could not get up Corralitas Drive - there were too many cars parked on the first blind corner. I walked down the hill figuring I could get neighbors to move their cars. No one seemed to know who owned the one car with out-of-state plates that was sticking out 6 feet from the curb on the the worst part of the curve! Other neighbors have had the same problem with this car in the past year.

I thanked the driver for not damaging my neighbors' cars. One of the workers said they had the same problem when they tried to deliver another bed on this street a couple of weeks ago. (Time to red flag Corralitas Drive in the store's computer!) Even the drivers said they couldn't understand why dispatch didn't send the small truck. They're sending the small truck today.

My tale isn't as bad as my next door neighbors' moving mayhem. They moved here from out of state and had a heck of time finding a moving company willing to drive up the street. They finally had to rent a small truck and find a company to move their stuff in small portions. Of course, they got stuck blocking traffic after dark on one of the darkest parts of the street.

Another neighbor cancelled his new refrigerator after the driver couldn't make it up the street. Instead, he found someone to repair his old frig for a fraction of the original repair estimate.

Is there any wonder why Corralitas Drive tends to have neighbors who just move up the street to another house, rather than out of the neighborhood?