Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Lake Corralitas: Who Knew Gophers Provide Flood Control?


Photo: Diane Edwardson, December 21, 2010. Arrow indicates gopher hole draining water from Lake Corralitas on the Red Car Property. (Click on photo to enlarge.)

This morning (after 5+ inches of rain since Friday), I walked down to Lake Corralitas expecting to see the water pouring onto Corralitas Drive from the top of the earthen berm. Instead, the water was draining at a rapid pace through the maze of gopher holes and tunnels. You could hear the water rushing through the tunnels from atop the berm.

Photo: Diane Edwardson, December 22, 2010. Close up on the gopher hole draining Lake Corralitas to Corralitas Drive. (Click on photo to enlarge.)


Note on photo quality: I have to apologize to regular readers of the blog. You may have noticed a drop in my photo quality lately. I broke my point & shoot camera about a month ago while shooting a load of dumped tires at this location. I'm still learning to tweak the settings on my new point & shoot - not easy when you're juggling an umbrella and a puppy (on leash) playing in the mud.